Vahagn Khachatryan was born on May 2, 1977, in Gyumri. His devotion is entirely related to sports, particularly - chess. Vahagn Khachatryan, with his long-term work and high professionalism in the field of chess, actively contributes to the development of the field.
“Armenian State Institute of Physical Culture and Sport” Foundation.
Bachelor’s degree of Pedagogy, in the field of Professional Pedagogy: physical education and sports training.
- 1998-2002 worked as a senior coach at Gyumri Chess Sports School
- Since 2002 has been working at the Chess Academy of Armenia, firstly as a coach
- Since 2003 has been lecturing at seminars for improving the qualifications of coaches, as well as referees, organized by the Chess Academy of Armenia and the Chess Federation of Armenia.
- 2013 resumed coaching at the Gyumri Chess Sports School, coaching the leading young chess players of the Shirak region.
- Since 2017, he has been working as a Deputy Director for Education
In 2011, the International Chess Federation awarded Khachatryan the title of FIDE Coach, and in the same year, FIDE awarded Vahagn Khachatryan the title of International Referee.
- One of Vahagn Khachatryan's students, Robert Aghasaryan, became the Under-12 World Champion in 2006
- In 2011, Maria Gorgyan won a bronze medal at the European Under-18 Girls Championship
- In 2012, Manuel Petrosyan became the vice-champion of the European Under-14 Championship
- In 2019 Armen Barseghyan was declared the European Under-16 Youth Champion
- Vahagn Khachatryan had also been the personal trainer of Anna Sargsyan, a member of the Armenian women's national team. Anna Sargsyan participated in the final tournament of the Women's World Team Championship as a member of the Armenian women's team in 2018, and in 2017, as a member of the Armenian U-16 team; she took 4th place in the World Chess Olympiad.
- Khachatryan was awarded the Presidential Pension of the President of the Republic of Armenia for high achievements in the international arena of his students and was awarded by the Ministry of Sport, Youth of the Republic of Armenia, and the Chess Federation of Armenia.
- Due to his high results in a number of international tournaments, FIDE awarded Vahagn Khachatryan the title of International Chess Master in 2001.
- Since 2012 has been a member of the Coaching (Children and Youth) Council of the Chess Federation of Armenia, refereeing and qualification commissions.